flower

Thursday, October 1, 2009

October is here already, how'd that happen ?


Well I managed to let the entire month of September slip by without posting. Not on purpose of course, time flies like the wind it seems. Here it is October 1st and the weather definitely cooperated with the month because it was brrrr cold last night and this morning. Tyler even turned the heat on which I promptly turned off when I realized it was on. Not ready for that bill to increase just yet. As my Dad used to say, "put a sweater on !" Now I laugh when I think about that - because when I was a teen I remember thinking he was trying to freeze us to death but later came to understand his trying to save on those heating bills etc. I also remember that he was always cold the last nine years of his life because of being on kidney dialysis. The machine either took off too much fluid or not enough which also determined how he would feel the next day. One summer it was nearly 90 degrees and I stopped over to visit him. He had on a t-shirt and a heavy quilted flannel shirt. I remarked, "golly, aren't you hot Dad?" To which he replied, "no, I'm freezing." I couldn't help myself, I yelled, "go put a sweater on !" He grinned and laughed aloud as I'm certain he recalled the many times he said that to us kids. I still cannot walk out of a room without turning off the light switch. Mom even posted a note in the bathroom to, "turn on the water to get wet then turn it off while you soap up with the washcloth then turn the water back on to rinse." These many years later I still do this out of guilt of wasting water. Some lament, "I've become my mother!" Well I quite frankly inherited quirks and good things from both. I chuckle and smile when an incident serves me up a memory or two from childhood. I am reminded of many as my own sons continue to grow and I pass along my learned, "momanddadisms." Lord only knows how long they will tolerate me in my older years, I dare not think of it, LOL. As I end this post I'll add that I'm really looking forward to fall, it being my favorite season with all the glorious colors that only God could paint in a landscape. Blessings be to all~

No comments: