flower

Monday, August 31, 2009

meyers birdie



Well, we have another new baby to love only this one is not a grandson like the other one but a little fid, a meyers parrot in the african poicephalus family. She is the smallest of that family of parrots and so cute. I am teaching her, "step up," on to my finger. She's learning well already. She was weaned on to pellets, fruits and veggies which is wonderful because seed is not very good for them and so much of it isn't eaten thus wasted money. The seller sent me home with some dry formula to mix up and use a syringe with to give her a little bit of the baby formula so that she bonds with me. He called it yum yum and it was comical to watch those birds when he said that. He would roll his cart up to a cage, open the door and say, "yum yum" and out they would jump for their share. She knew exactly what I had when I mixed it up and sat her on my lap to give her a taste of it. She makes a sweet little noise that sounds much like a kiss. Her coloring doesn't look very impressive but as she grows to an adult her head will turn yellow on top, the same as the front of her wings. You can't see it but all the way down her back is the most beautiful shade of torquiose and a beautiful green as well. I am still trying to think of a name, we've been calling her, Peeps. Who knows that might stick unless I think of something else but I'm open to suggestions, maybe I'll google bird names and see if anything strikes my fancy. Wow, can you believe tomorrow is September 1st already ?? Where did summer go so quickly, although I won't deny I love the cooler temps we've been having. Fall is afterall my very favorite time of year with all the array of colors.

2 comments:

Cari said...

Congrats on your new birdie! I'll be watching to see her grow up! Thanks for sharing.

Natacha said...

She is a cutie.
I just saw the comment you left on my blog..and I apologize for the delay in answer. I'll save you the trouble of going back and post my answer here as well:

I am so so so sorry it took me forever to answer. Geez I should put up notification when I get comments cause otherwise I miss them.

I don't think male or female makes a difference. You shouldn't base your decision about what I write on Petey. She has probably been abused in her past. I know she was moved around quite a bit. She's 14 now and knowledge back then about parrot was not what it is nowadays and the way they were raised/educated probably wasn't the same as well.
Zuri is much more manageable than Petey; she is younger and getting her to behave like I want is much easier to do with her; don't have to change years of behavior issues to do so.

Anyways, best of luck in your choice!